Elise began her photographic career in Sydney as an assistant to her favourite music photographer. Hounding him at gigs until he agreed to take her on. After completing a bachelor of design (Photomedia) at the University of Western Sydney she jumped on a plane headed for the Top End of Australia to escape the Sydney traffic.
Elise worked on a buffalo hunting camp in Arnhem Land, drove for miles in a troupe with no air con and shared a river with a crocodile named Conrad, all while falling in love with the Northern Territory.
Derwin moved to Darwin in 2011 beginning work at the NT News as a staff photographer shortly after and has pursued a career in photojournalism. In a short space of time she has produced a considerable portfolio of Top End-related work, and has travelled extensively on assignment in the NT and internationally. Elise is currently working as the Picture Editor for the NT News.
Honours and Awards
- 2017 PANPA NewspaperAwards Finalist - Portrait Photograph of the Year - Soap
- 2017 PANPA NewspaperAwards Finalist - Sport Photograph ofthe Year - Silver Lining
- 2016 NT Media Awards Photographer of the Year - Body of Work: The NT News
- 2016 PANPA Newspaper of the Year Awards Photography of the Year Features / Lifestyle winner - Nudist Nomads
- 2016 PANPA Newspaper of the Year Awards Finalist Features/Lifestyle - Legends of the Tiwis
- 2016 PANPA Newspaper of the Year Awards Finalist Portrait Photography - Fire In His Soul
- 2016 Music Portrait Prize Winner and People's Choice Winner - Elsey Day
- 2015 NT Media Awards Finalist - Body of work: The NT News.
- 2015 Music NT Portrait Prize Winner Green Stone Garden
- 2014 NT News Photographer of the Year - Body of Work
- 2013 NewsCorp Photographer of the Year Finalist - Body of work: The NT News.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2017 Nudist Nomads - Head on Photo Festival, Sydney
- 2017 INsTagrammers Exhibition - Northern Territory Library, Darwin
- 2017 Women Who Shoot - Gallery Two Six, Darwin
- 2015 PROOF: Photo Essays from the Top End - NCCA, Darwin
For all enquires and assignments:
mobile: 0420 522 517